From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:42:03 -0400
Bill T said "Couple of things. Way back when, we got one of those 55N posts
and had to
reply that our average temp in Maine during the winter is more akin to
Sweden than England."

Careful...The Gulf Stream has a much greater effect on the European climate
than most Americans can imagine.  But 'Northern Sweden' (north of Stockholm)
has a climate similar to inland Maine.  Southern Sweden is very much warmer
than the Northeastern US.  Many plants flourish there that one cannot even
think of growing inland north of New Jersey.  Such as pyracanthia (?),
magnolias, and many kinds of rhododendrons.

I once read that most of Europe would be uninhabited without the warming
effect of the Gulf Stream.

I wonder whether wrapping is normal in Finland?

Lloyd