From:
Natalee Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2015 23:05:46 -0500
Hello.
 I also, was in attendance in the University of Montana's online Beekeeping Classes. Testing out of the Apprentice Class was the short road, but after completing the Journeyman Level, I cannot believe I didn't go ahead and begin at the beginning. I eagerly await the announcement of the Master Class, but if it happens I can't get a seat, I will take the apprentice course. I am certain I missed extremely valuable information even though I passed the test. I did not get a certificate for testing out. I have been maintaining bees for 10 Utah seasons and thought it should easy for me to "test out " very much undervaluing the education I would get, had I attended. Well, you don't know until you know.
This course work reminded me that learning about whatever it is you are learning, is not about passing the tests, it's about learning and understanding your subject matter on a deeper level. I suppose that could vary from person to person, and the testing/certifying offers some continuity among students that complete and pass the course.
I teach an Introduction to Beekeeping course, and hear a variety of, dare I say, Dogmas of beekeepers, especially new ones. Some of these beliefs are high cost to honey bees. As an instructor/mentor and hopefully a Master Beekeeper, I can encourage dogmas to be left at the door, and speak more intelligently about bees and how to keep them more successfully and possibly have a little extra credibility among my fellow beekeepers. I don't think of this as a feather, as someone earlier in the thread stated,  but as a way to help myself and others develop better beekeeping practices. Master Beekeeper is a goal but I will never stop learning about bees.

Natalee