From:
Tom Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 16:50:23 -0400
As you say , use what you have available.My hives sit in pairs on old doors
set across cement blocks about 15"off the ground. On top of the doors I have
put some planking 1-1/4in thick  A space between two of the planks hold a
watering pan abour 4 feet long. When working I stand on the platform and lift
off the upper supers of one colony at a time. Each stand will hold two hives
with room to spare.

Today I visited a beekeeper in Winchendon . His hive stands were made from
telephone pole cross trees. They were bigger than a four by four but not as
big as railroad ties. His workmanship in all his affairs was really top
notch.In side his shed he had a full observation hive beautifully fashioned
from oak. He had two deep supers and four shallows with glass on all four
sides, it stands beside a north facing window with a landing board outside.
Each section is a full ten frames wide. Beautifully made.