Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:16:06 GMT
From: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>

>It's just common sense that you look after your own health before trying to blame your problems on some external force.

Well, in a case where an "external force" really is causing you a problem, ignoring it's impact can (at best) distract from the real problem, and (at worst)can lead one to "fix" things that aren't broken...fixes that can cause harm.

Years ago, my father had an (adult) employee who's mother called.....she would not be in that day, she had given birth in the bathroom.  She did not know she was pregnant, and was concerned about her weight gain (and presumably was dieting on some level in an effort to "look after her own health").  All involved would have been better off if she had been willing to consider an "external force".

Issues stemming from industrial pollution have often been assumed to be of individual health and not from the environment ("A Civil Action" is a good example...the pollution from Grace outside of Boston).....yet, no solution can ever come about until the "external forces" are considered.

If one knows the cause of a problem, it is wise to target the cause...but if one doesn't know the cause, why would it be "common sense" to assume anything?

deknow