From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2014 16:37:45 -0500
> Even you, Pete, have stories about colony failures that you would not have had 30 years ago.  Heavy management isn't always trumping "luck".  And before you say you "ignored" and "didn't treat" your colonies last year, Pete, keep in mind that what is being called "ignoring colonies" today was "appropriate management" 30 or 40 years ago.  You did plenty with your hives, and they died anyway.

I am not even sure what this is about. I never said anything about ignoring hives. In 2012 I cut drone comb out nearly every single week. However, all that didn't prevent the mites from taking out about 80% of the colonies. In 2013, I did little other than make splits, feed, super up and harvest. No losses in 2013 -- but also very few mites. It isn't about how much you do or don't do. It's what you do that matters.

PLB