From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2014 20:13:22 -0400
"Two sticks, crossing each other to make an "X," are placed between the
interior walls about midway in both hollow log gums and box hives to
provide a place for bees to hang the comb they make."

Thanks Gary,

I thought that may be the reason for the dowels,
but I was not sure of this.  In my tests hiving swarms
in gums, the bees do tend to gather near the top, but I
will accept your answer as the most historically accurate.

I can think of another benefit of the dowels.  At harvest
time, when cutting honey comb from the top of the
gum or box hive, the dowels will serve as a cut off
point stopping the knife, distinguishing where cutting
of comb stops.  This will also serve to keep the integrity
of the broodnest below, providing good bracing for the
remaining comb to adhere to.

Best Regards,
Joe Waggle
Historical Honeybee Articles on FB