From:
Kyle Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:52:48 -0400
Dear Mats and fellow beekeepers,
The crystallized honey you describe is what we call "creamed honey".
Technical folks call it "honey fondant".  I love it.  Some beekeepers here
sell it as their highest quality product.  And it is not messy to spread
like liquid honey.  To americans, crystallized honey means granulated
honey; it has large crystals that are not creamy in texture.

For some honeys to remain liquid for long periods, they must be heated to
140 F (60 C) to 160 F (71 C).  This destroys any existing tiny crystals,
and also pasteurizes the honey, which is useful if it has relatively high
water content.  Needless to say, this seriously degrades the quality of the
honey.

You may be able to sell freshly extracted liquid honey to customers who
request it.  Try storing some liquid honey.  You can then tell your
customers how long it takes to granulate.  Maybe they will eat it faster
and then buy creamed honey. :)

If rape (canola) is a significant nectar source, that may cause rapid
granulation.

Americans desire liquid honey for one reason - TRADITION!  Most people are
very traditional and unadventurous about food.

I have a question for you, Mats, and for Tony in Norway.  Do you use wood
hives or styrofoam insulated hives?  I can hardly believe your bees can
survive the winter on just 16 kg of sugar.

Cheers,
Kyle Lewis
Wyoming USA