From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2014 08:45:31 -0400
On 14-Apr-14, at 9:26 PM, Peter L Borst wrote:

> However, under field conditions and exposure levels, similar
> effects on honeybee colonies have not been documented. It is not
> reasonable, therefore, to conclude that crop-applied pesticides in
> general, or neonicotinoids in particular, are a major risk factor
> for honeybee colonies, given the current approved uses and
> beekeeping practices

Hi All

Here I am sitting on the fence between the OBA who want a total ban
on neonics and many on this list who say that neonics are no
problem.  The 1000s of documented colonies lost in Ontario and
elsewhere due to corn planter dust occurred because pneumatic
planters were used.  The Scott Dupuis study, which Randy was invited
to witness, was carried out on canola where conventional seed drills
are used.  The statement above therefore becomes true only if one
word is removed.  It is        reasonable, therefore, to conclude
that crop-applied pesticides in general, or neonicotinoids in
particular, are a major risk factor for honeybee colonies, given the
current approved uses and beekeeping practices.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario (sunny with temps to +20C recently, shoveled 4-5 cm
snow this morning @ -3C)
Canada
44N80W