From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2014 18:04:08 -0800
>Well, perhaps this will help. Here's what one of the authors says:
> "We set out to look for evidence of kin selection by
> searching for signs of positive selection on genes and proteins that affect
> worker traits.  We find very strong evidence that genes associated with
> worker behaviour experience high rates of positive selection."

Thank you for your patience Jim.  I still interpret differently.  I
interpret that those proteins are regulated largely by transgenerational
epigenetic inheritance, as well as genetic inheritance.  But the
transmission is likely via the egg and sperm cytoplasm, as opposed to
transmission from generation to generation by workers.

VSH and Russian both originally derived from Bond selection.  Both were
further developed for specific traits by Baton Rouge.  And are still
largely maintained by Bond selection, since none of the breeders breed off
of dead colonies.

I have experience with both stocks, and recommend them for certain uses.
 The Russians fight mites and viruses by at least 10 different behaviors or
pheromonal/physiological traits, as I'd expect from a survivor stock.

In the case of VSH, which were later specifically selected for varroa
sensitive hygiene, other valuable traits may have been inadvertently bred
out.   The point of Locke's research was that when left to their own
devices, Bond-selected bees in two populations did not select strongly for
either VSH or grooming (although A. ceranae uses both).

>My point was that the "Bond approach" seemed
> unproductive, not breeding for resistance in general, of course.

My apologies if you felt that I was disputing your point.  I feel that the
"Modified Bond" approach is likely the best approach for breeding resistant
stocks.  Kefuss suggests the same.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA