Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2013 08:27:06 -0600
>> Maybe the almond growers should underplant with a range of wild
>> flowers to give long-term forage to native pollinators as well as
>> their own honeybees.
>
> I don't think you understand the magnitude of the almond industry.
> They are producing 80% of the world's almonds. 70% of the crop is for
> export from USA. For the bigger picture, see:

Good picture, Pete.  That really shows how it is, but not how long the
area really is.

The point, though, is not the scale of the plantings, but whether
underplanting is practical.

I think we have discussed problems with having flowering plant sin
orchards before and the need to get bees in and out in a hurry.

This varies in details from crop to crop, but that priority is pretty
universal.

---
Allen Dick
Swalwell, Alberta, Canada
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/
51°33'37.58"N  113°18'54.24"W
40+ years keeping bees
Fall 2012 count: 89 hives
Just working the hives for the first time this spring.