Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:31:17 -0500
Should we be tracking which genotypes of mite in our colonies?

>ABSTRACT. The mite Varroa destructor is the main pest causing
damage to apiculture worldwide. In Brazil and other parts of the world,
where bees of African origin and their hybrids predominate, the bees can
survive these mites without treatment. Studies have shown a correlation
between the various genotypes of the mite and its fertility in different
geographical regions. Information about mite genotype could be helpful
in understanding the diverse effects and relationships of the mite with
bees in different regions of the world. DNA analysis by RAPD technique
has permitted identification of three distinct genotypes in the mite V.
destructor, namely Russian, Japanese and Papua New Guinea. We found
predominance of the Russian genotype in Brazil, along with other parts
of South America, and in Cuba and Mexico. The Japanese genotype was
exclusively found on Fernando de Noronha Island in Brazil.<

http://www.funpecrp.com.br/gmr/year2010/vol9-1//pdf/gmr696.pdf