From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 08:32:31 -0500
There seems to be an assumption that the Langstroth design of over 100
years ago has not changed. It obviously has, but the underlying idea has
stayed fairly constant- movable frames, bee space and ease of harvesting
honey. Every one of the offshoots borrows from those fundamentals.

What has happened is supposed standardization of dimensions so there is
a "standard hive" (deeps and shallow supers), but if you actually try to
mix manufacturers, things are not quite as advertised. So, even there,
things are different. Frames are different. Everything above and below
the brood box is different. Even the boxes are different and many
beekeepers have a mix of box sizes or some who use one size. Commercial
operators change many parts of the hive for easy of transport and
ventilation. Northern beekeepers can have different setups than
Southern. Then there are people like me who make their own. You can have
ten frame, nine frame and even eight frame hives, not to mention nucs.

Materials differ: you see various woods, metals, and plastics used.

I have seen and have read about many different hive designs. To think
that beekeepers who use the Langstroth design are stuck in a static
universe does not recognize reality. It does, however, tend toward
biases and prejudices of those who have found a "better way" which is
not a universal better way but suited for their own situation, per the
article. Some of the ideas and designs are fantastic. They work but are
not practical for most.

The Langstroth design is the closest thing we have to a universal,
one-size-fits-all, hive design. I admire the genius that was behind
something that has stood up for so long and been so universally accepted.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine