From:
Dann Purvis II <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:15:01 -0500
> Was this per chance more than 3 years ago ?  I understand Pierco
> strengthened the top bar in the one piece molded frames to make them
> more inflexible about 3 years ago.  Anyone else experience a problem
> within the last 3 years ?

I love them.  They're the best thing since duct tape.  You will break a
wooden frame much faster than a "new type" Pierco.  They sometimes require a
little more effort in getting them drawn out but it's usually no problem if
the hive is strong and during a good flow (real or simulated).  I find the
waxed variety works the best.  They require less initial work.  If you have
the proper bee space, you will not have a problem with burr or brace comb.
Pack them in as tight as possible.  Leave no space between the frames.

Two years ago, I had a bear get 11 hives in one yard.  All of the wooden
frames were completely destroyed while the Pierco made it through entirely.
Old comb can be scraped off.   Also, they are cheaper in the short and long
run.  With the hives I lost and "AFTER" the wax moth "MOVED IN", I just
scraped off the parts that they chew up and reinstall into a strong hive to
be redrawn.  Try that with Wood.

The only negative I can possibly see is they aren't as old fashioned as the
old wooden ones.  Depends on how much time you have and where you want to
spend it.

Dann Purvis
Purvis Brothers Honey
5122 Trackrock Camp Road