From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 07:32:46 -0500
> The call for a ban on ALL neonicitinoids  (like the Avaaz petition) looks more and more attractive to me

When I suggested action, that is not what I meant. It is not action to move against a scapegoat. One thing that seldom seems to be mentioned in the discussion about interactions between hive pathogens and pesticides is this: Colonies that are weakened by pathogens are more susceptible to environmental pollution.

If the level of pathogens in the colony is low, then extremely low levels of pesticides like we are seeing might have little or no effect. If you are starting with a sick population and then adding an additional factor, the outcome is skewed. Besides, most pathogens are under beekeeper control; the environment is not.

Furthermore, the idea that we beekeepers don't need to care about growers issues is silly, as we have stated over and over. Many or most beekeepers benefit from agricultural crops. If you have bees where they don't interact with agriculture it may mean less problems. It may mean no  honey and no pay.

PLB