From:
The Victors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:16:12 -0900
Hi All,

I agree with the air compressor.  It is likely the best non beekeeping tool
that I have ever purchased.

Leaf blowers are pretty cool as well, but make sure that the exhaust is not
dumped into the air stream if you get a gas powered one.  Mine did, and
after blowing out some bees I could smell the fumes in the emptied super.  I
know there are other models that exhaust in a different direction.

I would add two items to the list:

Needle nose pliers are great for separating frames from each other without
jarring the hive.  I place the tip between frames with the pliers closed,
and press the tool straight down.  The taper of the pliers gently and
smoothly wedges the frames apart without the usual disturbance that a hive
tool gives.  I use it for those times that I want to sneak in for a quick
peak without waking up the whole hive, for example, checking a new queen.
In addition, the tip rarely crushes a bee the way a hive tool does.

A shop vac is one of the best tools to have in the honey house.  Once you
have wet the floor down and vacuumed up the water you will never go back to
a mop.  The floor comes out dry, not slippery, and not sticky.  There is no
waiting to go back to work.  This works well on a painted cement floor, I
have no experience with other surfaces.

Steve Victors
Big Lake, Alaska