From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:13:38 -0400
I said:
>>>they stay with whatever they have a working
> relationship with. <<<
Joe quoted Seely:
    >>> faced with two different sources of nectar, it consistently focused on the source with the highest profitability <<<<
     Both could easily be true... if the 2 sources were presented at the same time. I thought it was common knowledge that if you were putting bees on an unpalatable crop (like blueberries) that it would be important to place them there just as they were coming into bloom. If they were there too early they would get interested in another source and ignore the target. I have several hives right in the middle of a couple of acres of blueberries, for a few years, and have never seen a bee on the blossoms.
      I'll try to find the reference but with this list so full of heavyweights I'm sure someone will provide it. I'm pretty sure it was one of the great speakers that came to our club.

Dick Marron