From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2017 06:55:51 -0400
a Peter Borst snip and a quote followed by > my questions and comments..
The following shows that while developed societies give lip-service to beekeeping in the third world, they often do not understand it.

'The stringent rules on imports of the food products from third world countries make it difficult for most of potential exporters to exploit the European Union market especially for honey. The requirement on traceability of the products up to farm level is a challenge to the exporters who depend on small scale farmers for their supply. The farmers lack adequate skills on production and handling of the honey and hive products. Most of them do not take beekeeping as a commercial venture that demands adequate attention. They also have limited knowledge on regulations for exporting their honeybee products and lack protective gear.'

>certainly a lack of protective gear should clue everyone into the reality that in a subsistence economy there is little money to buy gear or equipment. quite often the honey from such places is presumed (by the locals) to be subject to adulteration.

>do you think the Europeans should drop all requirements in terms of food regulation and quality concerns just to appease folks in the third world?  of course the same 'no regulation' mantra is popular is some circles here in the US.

Gene in central Texas