From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:24:29 -0400
I agree. "Normal" installation of packages in warm tempertures in daylight
is asking for trouble.  However, it can be done with great success.

On April 12 I installed 100 packages into nucs during the day.   Temps were
in the mid 50's to start and ended up in the mid 70's.  I learned 30+ years
ago from an 'old timer' that the way to do it was to dunk them in a tub.
Most advice says to spray with warm water.  IMHO, that is not enough and I
have tried.  We remove the feeder can and the queen, put the board back on
the feeder can opening, hold it there with fingers, shake the bees to the
bottom of the package, and submerge it in 60-70 degree water for 5 seconds
or so.  Drain for perhaps 15 seconds, and then shake into the box.  Put the
queen in with an open hole, or fold the screen on the cage back in half.

As of this morning, lots of orientation flights in the yards.  We will look
at the bees in about a week and expect to see lots of brood and little to no
dead bees on the bottom.  Been doing it this way for many years.  The only
time we do not dunk is when the temps are in the 40's or lower.  But then
the bees are in such a cluster that they won't fly!

Lloyd