Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:53:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (60 lines)
>I am hoping that someone here can offer some advise.

I will try but would have to check into the California Merit label and Florida label for differences.
I will reply on line so the list can follow if ok with you. If not email and we can continue off list.

>We (SBBA.ORG) are in Santa Barbara, and now approximately 125 backyard beekeepers.

Groups like yours are best to ride herd on the CDFA. 

I will need to know additional information to give  advice

>Last month we were notified by our County Ag Commissioner that CA Dept of Food and Ag (CDFA) would be treating our citrus trees (residential backyards) with a neonic called Merit 2F (Imidacloprid) in the battle against the Asian Citrus Psyllid. 

I know most counties have a county ag commissioner and you did not say commissioners so are we talking of only one county? A couple counties? or all of California?

>If you have followed this battle in FLA, there does not seem to have been any headway in this battle there, and it sounds like many if not all beekeepers have left.

I would say headway has been made with canker but not completely controlled. Unless changed Merit use is not mandatory but is recommended as the preferred method of canker control in the Orange grower magazines.

Many beekeepers do not take hives to orange but many do. My friends do not.

>We have asked CDFA to wait until the citrus bloom is done (just 2-3 weeks) to treat an area where 1 ACP was found, but they have disregarded this request and started treating about 400 residences there with a soil drench application of Merit 2F.

Panic  plus pressure from Merit sellers ( huge Merit sale opportunity!) will override your concerns I am afraid. 

Maybe David Adams (Florida commercial beekeeper) will comment on the current canker issue in Florida.

To my knowledge Merit use in Florida has never been mandatory. David? 

>We fully understand how serious this pest is, the issues of this pest as a vector of HLB, and the implications this will have on our $1.8 Billion Citrus Industry.

Killing trees is serious business. I use Merit on my Bonsai trees. Works great. Merit is a better choice than temik.

Maybe later we can discuss label changes beekeepers like.

>We do not feel that the use of products like these are the only answer, and have put together an Alternative Treatment Program that we are trying to promote.

Good luck with that. With every problem there are pros & cons. Damage to pollinators is not a high enough concern to prevent Merit use as orange does not need bees so beekeepers can stay or move.

Old Missouri saying:
"Justice is the will of the stronger" 

>While no HLB has been found in SB County, treatments are optional, but CDFA has not made any effort in publishing this fact. Once HLB has been found, treatments will be mandatory.

Mandatory? Mandatory meaning fines for non use or the state comes in and treats and sends the tree owner the bill I suppose.
Mandatory meaning only Merit? no alternatives used?

I have to go now as help is here. Check the Merit label for use while bees are on bloom. Imid is not used in Florida for about a month if I remember correctly. 

We can discuss hive damage later. 

bob

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2