From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:10:49 -0600
Hello Kent & All,
Burning is the method of choice and the method I practice myself but I must
remind all beekeepers that burning alone did not work in the U.S. in the
1940's when U.S. beekeeping was almost lost to American foulbrood.   Maybe
we are better informed and burning will work this time around.   AFB can
spread fast through a apiary and can be hard to detect my inexperianced
beekeepers.   I have been at bee meetings when the smell of AFB hit my nose.
When I looked around a new beekeeper was holding up a frame wanting to know
why all his bees were dead.  Smell & perforated cells.  Dr Larry Conner's
bee disease slides show a beautiful frame of brood with *one* cell with AFB.
For those having trouble with finding the queen how about finding the AFB
cell on a frame covered with bees?
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri