Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:16:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
I believe that one of the articles you may remember was in ABJ in 1991 or       
so.   However, the person who trained and used the dogs is Jerry Fischer, a     
bee inspector here in the state of Maryland, USA.  Jerry is a retired fire      
fighter and had connections in the Baltimore (MD) city police department.       
It was though the police department that he trained the dog to detect AFB       
and  sit down directly in front of the infected hive.   According to Jerry,     
the dog is highly accurate in his diagnosis of an AFB infected hive.            

The original dog ( a black lab) is now retired as he has hip trouble and        
Jerry has trained a new dog (a yellow lab).  I think the idea of a lighter      
colored dog may be a good idea in the bee yard!                                 

Jerry does not have e-mail but I can get his address and telephone number       
for you if you wish.  Please respond to me directly if you're interested.       

>Date:    Fri, 7 Jun 1996 08:01:06 +1100                                        
>From:    Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>                                   
>Subject: Sniffer dogs for AFB...                                               
>                                                                               
>There was an article (at least one) on the use of dogs to assist in            
>AFB identification.  Can anyone lay their hands on a reference(s) for          
>me?                                                                            
>                                                                               
>Better yet, anyone with personal information or anecdotes?                     

David Bernard                                                                   
EAS Master Beekeeper                                                            
Vice President, Maryland State Beekeepers                                       
EAS Director for Maryland                                                       
Damascus, MD                                                                    
USA                                                                             
Home 301-414-2317                                                               
Work 301-496-3798                                                               

ATOM RSS1 RSS2