Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:06:47 GMT
>>After 20 years I think its safe to say AHB is mostly hype.  varroa is a bigger concern to us than AHB. I have never seen a AHB hive in the U.S. which made me run away. I have seen those which made me return to
the truck for a veil.

I was asked a few weeks ago to check out a Langstroth hive at a nature center a few miles away from me.  I went over to the hive with the center's manager who donned a beesuit.  [The hive had been kept there by a priest years ago who has passed on since and the manager wanted to see if I could help them maintain the bees.]  The colony was in 3 deeps and 3 mediums w/o an excluder.  The hive was strong and very heavy.  It had not been opened up anyone in years.  It was buried in poison ivy vines and I had to cut down the young saplings all around it.

I gave the bees some smoke and started taking it apart.  As soon as I cracked the inner cover, the bees came out stinging.  I got a dozen stings right off.  The bees kept coming even when I retreated behind a bush.  I thought of AHB at first.  I stoked the smoker well and came back to the hive.  The smoke started to sting my eyes but I got the bees to settle down.  They must have had a bad hair day because they have not been that way on subsequent visits.

I have not taken the hive apart except for the medium supers on top which were filled with old, capped honey.  I saw good brood patterns in the center frames of the upper deep.  The boxes and frames were heavily glued together.  The boxes started falling apart when pressured with a hive tool.  I mentioned to the manager that I'll move the colony in the spring into the spare boxes they have in storage.

To my knowledge, I have not across an AHB colony here in downstate NYS.  I did remove a feral colony with beetles that match the SHB in size and appearance!  I found and squashed about 6 of them on the honeycomb.  There was none of the slimey mess I've read about in articles.  So I don't know if they will be a major nuisance in the future here.

Waldemar