Debbee Corcoran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2017 18:20:57 -0400
Content-Type:
multipart/alternative
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1404 bytes) , image1.JPG (1 MB)

On Sep 6, 2017, at 11:22 AM, Cam Bishop <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> "Very much the issue here!  Which is why we manage splits differently every season.   Never make a small split on timing.  But on weather.   Need to have good warm night.   Nucs are also stacked together to conserve heat."
> 
> Cam wrote:  I have had very good luck with the poly nucs from Better Bee. They retain heat very well and I often find the queen on the outer frames during inspection.
> 
> In my humble opinion I agree with Cam regarding the insulation of hives; I believe this subject was touched upon a few years ago where I shared a paper written by a couple from the UK. Insulation is put on all sides and in the outer cover with a sugar shim w/entrance below that acts as a moisture quilt. As an experiment I kept most of the insulation on a top bar I have, removing the ins. on the bottom and on top of the bars. The hive did great. Located in partial shade in western Catskills NY. They did eat more stores over the winter but they made it through well. I keep this TB at one end of the yard with the buckfast hives. Deb Corcoran, Bee Thankful Raw Honey
Western Catskill Mountains NY

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2