Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 21:23:59 EDT
I have been trying to find specific varieties of buckwheat and am coming up to
a dead end.  I have contacted Dr. Tew at OSU about varieties that produced the
most amount of nectar, and unfortunately there just isn't any info available.
Buckwheat just isn't grown as much anymore.  Any variety of buckwheat will
produce nectar. I am planting an acre this spring.  An acre to me is alot, but
I guess to the bees, it's minimal. Buckwheat has been tried as a cover crop in
orchards and is found to have an effect on codling moth.  This was done at the
Appalachian Fruit Research Station in WV with standard variety used (ordered
from Johnnies Seeds in Maine).  I ordered a bee pasture mix from Brushy
Mountain.  This weekend I'm checking the local feed store.  There has been
discussion on this line from a source in Russia on nectar production of
buckwheat (Buckwheat and B-honey ??) Is there someway I can get the latin
(genus-species) of these two varieties?

Jeanne Schell