From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:49:20 -0600
Hello All,
Thanks for your post Tim! Those of you which attended the ABF convention in
Louisville might remember Tim's beekeeping presentations. Tim is also
president of the Kansas Honey Producers.

Beekeeping is a tough business. One I have been involved in for over forty
years. Beekeepers are commercial beekeepers because they love beekeeping.
Many less trying ways to make a living.
In my opinion needless hardship has been placed on these out of state
beekeepers. They are real people with families. Many will go out of
business.

Privately I am told almond growers were talked into the new policy by a
broker. So far we have heard from two California beekeepers and two Midwest
beekeepers on the list. I have heard from at least two brokers privately.

Does a broker want to address Tim's concerns. After all your paycheck is
supposed to be coming from us. I have been involved in California almond
pollination for awhile. It should be your main concern to see what happened
this year is avoided. Not stand back and let happen. I hope a broker is not
behind the problem. People are talking and pointing fingers. The truth will
come out.Many say one broker is behind the problem.

What is the broker position? Who hired and set up the grading crews? Who set
the rules? Based on what?

You might as well tell your side of the issue as your friends have already
told me. I write the article the end of the week. I have got plenty of
information. I most likely will not agree with your side of the issue but I
will listen to your side and try to explain your reasons honestly in the
article.

I think a broker or almond grower needs to step up and explain to the out of
state beekeepers why they were screwed. These same beekeepers gave you last
years bumper crop of almonds.
What happened was not a slap on the wrist. it put some beekeepers out of
business and quite frankly they want to see the almond growers suffer the
same. Many say they will never use the almond grower prostitute broker
again.

The brokers and growers have emailed me privately why they did what they
did. I guess if the list does not hear in a day or so I will try and explain
(without using names ) what the have said to me for my article.

Give us a few words. I would also show compassion if I were you. Keeping
silent is not going to start the healing.
Hint:
I would say that when the policy was set up you did not dream only one out
of three hives  would under your new rules be rejected if that's the case.

 My opinion is you knew two out of three would be rejected based on years of
looking into hives from the Midwest. The whole grading process was done on
purpose to make a statement to out of state beekeepers. Snitches which are
spilling their guts and what they are saying is ugly.

Bob