From:
Eunice Wonnacott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:28:20 -0400
Musashi wrote:

> About the Texas Buckfast bees.  It seems that different people have different
  It's nice> to be able to keep bees that have been bred by a "local"
breeder where maybe> they are adapted to my area somewhat.  You may have
got a "bad" one, I never
> have...what's the difference?--I don't know.  I DO know that you CAN'T say that
> all Weaver's Buckfast bees are mean and aggressive, because I KNOW they are NOT.
> Just another personal experience perspective to throw into the mix while you
> curse Texas bees and praise Canadian bees.

Layne Westover
> College Station, Texas, 36.4 deg N 96.2 deg W, 308' altitude, 38.6" mean ppt
> max 106 F, min 2 F, today, a balmy 80 F, and a/c broken in my building

I have personally visited Weaver's in Navasota, on a couple of
occasions.  The first time was while the importing of bees from the
United States was thriving, and our main supply was coming from Florida,
being trucked by some oof our own persons making the trip and bringing
our bees to us early in April, each year. I had been asked to look into
the possibility of transporting bees from further away, successfully.
The next time was after the Canada - United States border had been
closed due to mites.  Naturally Mr. Binford Weaver, my host on that
visit,  was not happy about what he saw as a needless curtailment of a
thriving business, from his standpoint.  He treated me with great
courtesy, nevertheless. I have visited Texas many times during the years
a family member was resident there.  I love the place, and the people I
have met there.

I suspect some of the disappointment and despair at the loss of these
valuable contacts has crept into attitudes of some Canadian beekeepers.
We are tryng to survive in an inhospitable climate, weatherwiise, and
with regard to disease and mites, etc.  Any time there is success, it is
natural to be happy about it, and even brag a little, as I am sure you
can understand.  One of the things that kept me "at it" as a beekeeper
after I discovered that I have a serious allergy to the stings, has
always been the special fellowship between all of us.  Sharing of
knowledge and ideas helps us all.  Let's keep it that way.

Eunice Wonnacott, Prince Edward Island Beekeepers CoOperative
Association Limited
Charlottetown, PEI. Canada -- "From The Cradle of Confederation"