From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2017 13:16:00 -0400
On 2-Apr-17, at 7:32 AM, Bill T wrote:
> As an aside, I have always had success with the FA pads (as have
> others on
> this list). It may be time consuming, but they work and the bees do
> fine.
> Same with OA vapor if done with multiple treatments like FA pads.

Hi Bill and All

I have used the FA pads(mitewipes) since Medhat introduced them in
Ontario.  I once did a daily mite drop study(6 hives) and found that
the maximum mite drop came the day after the 5th pad(of 6) was
installed.  I asked Alison Skinner, then of the OBA's tech transfer
team, how that compared with Miteaway 2 large pads, that they were
testing then.  She said that the maximum drop came in the first 3
days.  Possibly it would take the 15-20 days for the formic in the
small pads to penetrate the cappings.  Formic is also effective
against tracheal mites, which we don't hear too much about these days.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W