From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 15:04:09 EST
> ... Can somebody from Europe clear this up, I heard antibiotics were
> found in Argentina honey and was refused from Europe, probably a bogus
> rumor or maybe an isolated case.

Can't comment one way or another on this rumor other than to observe
that with the concerns about TM resistance in Argentina, honey
contamination with antibiotics is plausible.

> It was also mentioned that there are estimates of 10% of the honey
> sold in the US is adulterated. I thought the big packers already
> check the honey they buy.

Part of the recommendations being proposed by ABF is to "render
adulterated honey useless."  It was not defined what this means.  Return
to sender?  Burn it?  Dye it green?  This vagueness was identified as a
shortfall in the ABF proposal, clarification was requested.

> what happened to the dancing raisins?...

I believe they were last seen socializing with the M&M guys.  Rumors
persist they begat illegitimate raisinettes that melt in your mouth but
not in your hand.

> how come the retail price in my area anyway hasn't dropped along with
> the barrel prices? The big packers obviously are taking care of
> themselves.

Actually the packers aren't the culprits here, it's the retailers.  Once
the retailers have the product on their shelves at a higher price they
are happy to leave the price high and pocket the difference if/when
the wholesale drops.

> The big question now is how can the producers get the price
> up to where it should be and can a promotion board run by both packers
> and producers have the best interest of both in mind.

Indeed, that's the big question!  Sure wish I knew!  That's part of the
problem between ABF and AHPA.  I thought about the conflicts between
the two organizations and concluded it's the lite beer commercial all
over.  The "TASTES GREAT" side says "More Packers!" and the "LESS
FILLING" side says "More Producers!".  And I'm left wondering if I want
more research, less adulteration and more promotion because it tastes
great or it's less filling.

The industry just isn't big and powerful enough to tolerate the
bickering between ABF and AHPA.  Both organizations should be working
towards addressing more research, less adulteration and more promotion
rather than picking the bones of an organization the exists to foster
research and promotion.  And it's the National Honey Board that should
become an active and aggressive foe to fight adulteration, wherever it
occurs.

Aaron Morris -  I think, therefore I bee!