From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:55:24 -0500
>Up here, we are reluctant to rearrange boxes this late.

We do not rearrange but only pull frames not drawn out. Usually on the
outside of a hard cluster. bees will not cluster over foundation so now that
populations have dropped to only winter bees the frames are easy to spot.
bees will not cluster *for the most part* over pollen filled frames so east
to spot those two. We provide drawn comb and mark for feeding enough
feed to fill these frames. The main cluster is actually this time of year in
the bottom box in most cases. Or at least should be. Most of the frames
*other than the foundation* are honey filled.

>of course  undrawn foundation up there
is a bad thing too.  I'm seeing a little of that, too, so find myself
conflicted.

We had a poor fall flow or these combs would have been drawn out. Feed is
expensive ( especially today with sucrose) so I prefer to let the bees
collect their winter stores. 200 miles north of me snow is on the ground.
200 miles south was 80F. today. The weather is the big unknown in Missouri.
We had two weeks of temps up to 25 degrees below normal. The coldest first
two weeks of October on record.
Change is a fact of life in beekeeping. If you do not adapt then you will
not survive. We have several days now in the 70F. range so I decided to pull
the foundation. I also decided to wait until a break in the cold temps
(today). Time will show if I made the correct decision. back out tomorrow to
try and do 7 yards. Beekeeping is basically an old mans pastime for me these
days so I set high goals for the help but may quit at noon if I get
tired.( or bored)  I am sure my bees are ready for winter but I am bored
with being in the house last week. trees are beautiful in color after the
cold weather. We take a lunch and find a beautiful spot. My helper is
autistic and like a son to me. Since my health issues my family will not let
me venture into the bee yards without my helper.

> The bees have gone
down out of them, but some -- a hundred or so -- stay on the bottom of
the frames above the gap.

My supers have been off for weeks, honey extracted, equipment cleaned. I
only use the spacers when supers are not on. The only issue I have with
leaving the supers on in late spring is the bees try to build comb in the
spacer.

Why would you leave an inch spacer on all year if you do not mind my asking.
What is the advantage?
Cluster space like C.C. Miller did over the bottom board?

bob