From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 08:15:51 -0400
In a message dated 97-06-30 06:35:25 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Graham Read EOS)
writes:

<< I hived my first swarm 10 days ago onto foundation. Found the queen a day
 later. Did a quick inspection yesterday, Bees drawing comb nicely, no
 eggs or larvae yet, but I was surprised to see two 'play cell' queen
 cells.

 Is this normal, or is it that I got a virgin queen and she hasn't mated
 yet, but why the started queen cells ? >>

   The old queen that goes with the swarm is usually superceded fairly
quickly.  Sounds like your are right on schedule.

    If you get completed cells and don't have eggs in another week, time to
worry then; the queen may be shot already.

    It's always a good idea to give a swarm a frame of brood if you can.
 They'll take off like gangbusters.  Plus it gives them some eggs for
emergency queen rearing if necessary.

Dave Green   Hemingway, SC   USA
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html