From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:05:32 -0800
> >Yet the USDA-ARS has not yet responded to my knowledge. If a member of
> BEE-L
> has heard of the USDA-ARS sending people to California please respond.

Dr Jeff Pettis, and I believe Dennis VanEnglesdorp were out toward the end
of Jerry's sampling visit.  Don't know how extensively they sampled.  But
Jerry is clearly (IMHO) on the forefront, and could sure use all the
industry support that we can throw his way!

Of interest is that they could easily have seen all stages of CCD-like
collapse in my virus/nosema-inoculated yard.  No sign of collapses in the
rest of my operation (other than the Bond yard).

>On a note which Randy made yesterday, about Dr Allsop saying we're
prolonging not having mite resistant bees by keeping mites at bay,I'm trying
to prolong my way of living and don't care about making mite resistant bees
for 50 years down the road .I'm not willing to make my way of living a test
tube study.

Dave, I've never suggested that Joe Beekeeper need to sacrifice colonies--it
would normally put them out of business.  However, I strongly support those
breeders, and government programs, that are looking to a future when we may
have no effective miticides, and will be forced to move to naturally
resistant stock.  This kind of support is to look beyond your own immediate
self interests, and to try to leave a better world for your children.

Randy Oliver