From:
"Marion D. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 15:15:58 -0500
>On Mon, 17 Jul 1995, Marion D. Ellis wrote:
>
>> I have observed starving colonies that were fed unrefined sugar in October
>> in the mid-west that were severely affected by dysentery by December.  They
>> were hauled to Texas by their owner in December who later described the
>> situation to me as a total loss.

)On 17 July 95, Allen Dick asked:

>I am wondering exactly what type of 'unrefined sugar' this might be.
>
>There are many many types of sugar and stages of refining.
>
>Without saying that the feed was not the cause (or a contributing cause).
>I must add that bees that are starving in the fall are often a total loss
>no matter what you do, especially if they haver reached the stage of
>canabalising the brood and exhausting the pollen reserves that are
>uncovered.

Response to Allen's question:

The unrefined sugar was crude cane sugar.  I have no knowledge as to the
level of impurities  present.  I wonder if mills that sell unrefined sugar
can or will provide buyers with a detailed analysis of what they are getting
in a given purchase or if their processing is precise enough to deliver a
uniform product.  The IBRA reprints referenced in my original reply may be
helpful if you wish to persue the subject.

Marion Ellis,  [log in to unmask]