From:
Tom Speight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 00:57:49 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest
processor <[log in to unmask]> writes
>... how many gallons of syrup do you get after
>dissolving 112 pounds in 7 gallons of water?  Is it just seven gallons?  I
>assume not, but if it is, how can you get that much sugar to dissolve?
Using imperial measure:
 In the UK a winter mix is 2lbs sugar to 1pint water, therefore it is
possible to mix up to 112lbs (7x16lbs) sugar with 7gallons (7x8pints)
water.
1 gallon water weighs 10 lbs, therefore 7 gallons weigh 70 lbs,
Assuming 112 lbs added to 70 lbs gives a total weight of 172lbs. I'm not
sure what the s.g. of the syrup  would be, but I guess about 1.5 which
would give 11.5 galls (approx).
My convertion from imperial to US is a bit rusty (after about 40+ years
of non-use) but the ratio by weight of sugar to water (fl.oz.) =1.6:1
Therefore if 1 US gallon weighs 8lbs, the equivalent amount of sugar
would be about 90lbs -I think they still have 16 ozs to the lb 'over
there':-).

>(Fortunate that we share the same language!)
It certainly is!!!
hth.
--
Tom S