From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:58:50 -0400
Triangle board escapes were mentioned as a desirable way to get the bees of
a particular colony out of the supers.  Sometimes they work very well.  One
colony here (Carniolans) loves making comb honey in sections.
Once in ignorance I made it difficult for the bees to access the bottoms of
the section boxes.  No problem, the same bees found a way to load the boxes
from the top only.  They are determined to fill the boxes.  I put the
triangle board escape (commercially supplied) under their supers (yes, the
right way) and a day later the supers were full of bees.   A week later it
was the same.  There were no leaks in the supers or the cover.  I took a
box full of these bees away from their hive and put the escape on in the
direction that would only let them in and watched them come out as if it
were not there.   Simple mazes like the triangle board escape are
apparently no challenge for that colony.  On other colonies the escape
works fine.   So if you've done everything right and the triangle escape
board isn't working, give it up, that colony is too adept.  Some are, many
are not.

Bill Morong