Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:06:07 GMT
>>...production colonies are heavy as lead...no feeding necessary. But my 4 frame nucs.

I think nucs are like weak hives - they don't gather as much in proportion to large colonies.  I've set up a single nuc to overwinter a spare queen and have been feeding it steadily.

I checked my full-size colonies and it was nice to see a decreasing broodnest and solid frames of sealed honey above the brood.

Mike, you have tons of experience overwintering nucs.  Do you provide an upper entrance for ventilation and cleansing flights?  Do you top-insulate and wrap?

Thanks!

Waldemar