From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:01:08 -0500
I believe I have heard numbers like 80% of our agricultural crops are treated prophylactically... just in case there is an insect around.  I would ask if this is wise.

There is the problem in a nutshell.   Somewhere you heard a insane number thrown out that is ridiculs at best.   Kind of like the claim the " many of the superfund sites are agricultural"   No fact behind the statements.  Designed and plotted to put the other side on Defense.
Pesticides are not cheap.  Application is expensve.   These decisions are not made lightly.

Whats happened is someone with out a stake in the game,  made the claim,  "well why not wait until the bug is a problem"  implying we should wait until each pest has reached some damage level to justify treating.   In some cases that’s exactly whats done.   In other cases (were systemic come in) its not particle. Such as cyst nematodes, or corn rootworms.   Both do huge damage,  and are unseen until harvest.  Should one go out and dig up 1/2 the crop to find them?  In any field they will be spotty.   Other pest like aphids can wait until they are visable.  Earworms (corn) is another,  cant see the damage very well.

Its unfortunately some like to throw out these ideas like " 80% "  and even worse they get spread as truth.

Charles