Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:31:21 -0500
Subject: FW: Jackson Horizontal Hive

> Cesar Flores asks:>
> > Does anyone use the "Jackson Horizontal Hive"?

Well, I don't know about a "Jackson" horizontal hive, but I designed and
built a horizontal, two-queen hive last spring and so far I am pleased with
it.

There are fifteen medium frames in each end, and ten more in the middle
separated by queen excluders from the frames in the end sections.  Supers
for surplus are stacked on the middle section (which is left for the bees).
There are separate lids on each of the three sections.  The whole shebang is
about seven feet long.

The bees seem to like it, and so do I.  The main reason for my liking it is
because I am lazy (also 73 years old).  I don't have to take the supers off
to get to the brood boxes, and the brood boxes are only one story tall.

Each of the two colonies in this double hive has effectively 20 frames,
exclusive of supers.  In this latitude (central Louisiana) this is enough
all year long.  We average 100 pounds per ordinary single hive with our
two-medium brood nests.

We got this thing set up after the main flow was over, so I don't know yet
how it will stack up volume-wise to regular hives.  But the way the bees
filled up their end-sections with honey and brood and the center section
with honey, I expect that it will outproduce two ordinary hives, as most
two-queen colonies do.  This long hive looks as if it will reap the
production benefits of two-queen hives and avoid the work.

I'll let you know as the next season gets under way.

Walter Weller
Wakefield, Louisiana