From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:02:15 -0600
> Bob replied in part:
> "It would be impossible to certify a semi load of bees coming from a
> known  area of shb to be small hive beetle free.

All those loads held by Georgia were released after awhile and certified
free of SHB. Not I nor you could honestly put our name on a certificate
saying there were not a male and female small hive beetle hiding out on the
semi load. Yet they did and SHB  *WAS MOVED*  on those loads.

Those BEE-L members from Florida (with SHB) will tell you the task would be
impossible. Inspectors only random check anyway. Maybe we should insist on
each frame being taken out and the MT box examined when coming out of those
areas. Whats to pervent a couple SHB flying in a already inspected hive
while the inspector is looking at the other 450 of the load?

Yet Blane those semi loads were certified SHb free and left Georgia  did
they not?

I have found as you go up the chain of command sooner or later you find the
person which sees the big picture (or with enough guts to sign the
certificate and get those bees moving).

> Hold it a minute Bob.  Did you notice the beekeeper moved the bees
> illegally?  No loads were certified and permitted for movement the guy
> just loaded the known infested colonies on the truck and moved them in
violation of Georgia law and in violation of TN and KY laws.

I quess I missed that fact.

The USDA will never be able to legislate away the small hive beetle, varroa
or the tracheal mite. Perhaps let a few hobby beekeepers go a couple years
longer without pests but at what costs to our economy.

I locked horns with apiary inspectors in Illinios last year about getting
inspected and permits to move from county to county. The only person in the
meeting that thought getting inspected and a permit to move from one county
to the next was a good idea was the state bee inspector.

County to county inspections in Illinois makes for outlaw beekeepers.

Bob