From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2017 17:48:59 -0500
¶

Colors can be measured, too

PANTONE Bright Red
Color values:
RGB 249 56 34
HEX/HTML F93822
CMYK 0 78 74 0

PANTONE Green
RGB 0 171 132
HEX/HTML 00AB84
CMYK 93 0 63 0

I mentioned that,  read close.  The problem we have is that there are so many shades in this discussion of "better" for queens.  The cited paper seemed pretty clear that was honey production (haven’t read it in detail)   so how does that actually compare for bee numbers and brood?  Often we find here that lower bee counts produce more honey.

How did those new young queens from turkey compare to new young queens from GA?  Or Italy?

Your citing of the color scale is actually quite nice and relavant,  what do we have in beekeeping that correlates to a real standard like that?

LBS per hive??  Nope  that depends on configuration?  Frames of brood?  Season dependant.

As you well note,  we can find research that show young queens are best,  and research that says 2nd year is better,  seems to me doesn't one of those points have to be wrong??  If so,  how would we find out?  How do we compare queen A to queen B in different temperate zones?

When we get standards for that we can really have some interesting discussions.

Charles