Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2023 18:51:03 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
When I was in Cuba on a Bee trip sponsored by ApiCuba we were told that the government manages all of the bee breeding and all apiaries are highly managed by the government with regular inspections.  They are very strict in their beekeeping and we visited one of their queen rearing facilities where they control the breeding stock; both queens and drones.

-----Original Message-----

From: Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Peter Borst

Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2023 1:28 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Varroa on Drones

I looked at the video that was cited. He mentions the Calderone drone trapping study. This took place 20 years ago at the Dyce Lab and I was a participant. Drone comb removal is very labor intensive and suffers from two other problems. 1) it can reduce mite build-up but it will not eliminate the need for fall treatment in our region.  2) in August it was difficult to get bees to raise drones at all. 

He also mentions Cuba and says that drone trapping reduces varroa infestations. Reports are that the bee populations of Cuba and also PR, have developed behavioral mite resistance. My view is that behavioral resistance develops in large unmanaged or semi-unmanaged populations. In a situation where the bees are constantly being moved and mixed, I don't see how it's possible.

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned

LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned

LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2