Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:53:16 GMT
>>And where would the Growers get beekeepers to keep them alive???

Many growers could and should become beekeepers... Many apple orchard
owners are also certified spray applicators - one has to go through
training in a state-approved program in Washington - and some could
be beekeepers.

Realizing that orchards are subject to spray applications and offer
little forage to bees outside of the almond bloom period, the hives
would have to be kept in outyards some distance from the orchards.

I have been to CA only a few times but I believe outyards can be
established where colonies could thrive most of the year.  If bees
can be kept in Arizona, they can be kept in California.  AHB thrives
throughout southern California. ;-)  In time, local bees would adapt
very well, through natural selection, to sync their annual cycle to
the local conditions.

Having said all of this, I am mindful of the potential size of such
an undertaking!  If it takes 2-4 hives per acre of almonds and, a
grower has eg. 200 acres, it may not be cost-effective for the grower
to maintain 400-800 hives just for almond pollination... although if
pollination fees reach $150 per hive then $150*400 hives = $60,000 in
pollination costs per year.

I don't know if $60,000 means a lot to the average grower but I'd
love to be a local beekeeper asked to fill this need...

Waldemar
Long Island, NY