From:
RICHARD E BONNEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 1995 12:48:43 -0500
Dear Bee-L people,

Talk to me about goldenrod, please. I am located in western Massachusetts
where goldenrod (Solidago spp) is a significant nectar source, beginning
around mid-August and on into the fall. We can usually count on at least
one super, often two or three.

I understand that in some other parts of the continent, goldenrod is
present but less significant as a nectar source. I would like to know
more about this. If goldenrod grows in your part of the U S or Canada,
please tell me something about it.

        Do you know which species grow in your area?
        Whether you know or not, do the bees work it?
        If yes, to what degree?
        If no, do you know if it is lack of nectar, or low sugar content of the
        nectar?
        Do you know the sugar content?
        What are the approximate blooming periods?
        And anything else that comes to mind.

For comparison, thirty to forty years ago Frank Shaw did studies here on
the sugar concentration in many of the nectars of our area. He found the
following percent concentration in three Solidago species.

        S. graminifolia         29.8 avg.   22.0 min. 40.0 max
        S. rugosa               37.9        27.0      48.0
        S. speciosa             27.0        26.0      29.0

As a side note, what do you think of goldenrod honey as a table honey? I
like it myself, but it does get a lot of mostly undeserved bad press.

Thanks for your help. Season's best

Dick Bonney