Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:24:57 -0600
> Compare this to the high prevalence of TM in the U.S. that Allen posted.

Actually, I posted about *susceptibility* and the lack of attention to
breeding for resistance lately in commercial stocks and went on to comment
that this probably also would be found to correlate to a lack of attention
to maintaining and increasing other desirable qualities in commercial
stocks, particularly in regard to properties for resisting or tolerating
mites, AFB, EFB, nosema, etc.

My source went on to say:

"No, tracheal mites have become rather rare here, even in documented highly
susceptible colonies.  The reason for this rarity is a bit puzzling.  Some
of us think that the use of amitraz (and to a lesser degree oxalic and
formic acid) for varroa may have something to do with it.  I still think I
can generate a good infection if I have exposure to mites, miticide-free
equipment, susceptible bees and favorable (for mites) climate and weather.