From:
Dick Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:32:47 -0400
  As a marine tropical fish collector (years ago) I studied the changing biochemical environment within the artificial salt water. To replicate conditions found in the South Seas, salt, pH.  temperature and nitrate levels must be kept within narrow limits to keep these beautiful, (expensive), brightly colored fish healthy. Over time the organic build up precipitated out the various minerals, diminishing the bright colors of the fish. Standard protocol is to add "trace elements", available at fish pet stores.  At one time I ran two 55 gallon tanks and was able to use these "trace elements" to bring back colors. The amazing part is that only 3 or 4 drops per tank were capable of bringing back the colors within a few hours. A few drops in 55 gallons- you do the math!
  With reference to cobalt, commercial magnets often contain iron alloyed w cobalt and I wonder if it is essential for bee nutrition to support the suspected "magnetic  compass" in the bees head??
  Bee Well
  Dick Johnson
  Catskill Bee Club