From:
Jeff Fagerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 1995 11:05:14 -0500
Hello everyone,

I have a bumblebee nest (in the ground alongside my children's sandbox)
that I would like to excavate and move.  I am not an expert in this, in
fact, this will be my first non-honeybee venture.  I am looking for advice
from those better informed before I undertake this task.  One point, I
would like to keep the bees for further observation and study.  Here's my
current plan for removal:

1.  Construct a small box (next) about 6 inches on a side with a small hole
    (about one-half an inch in diameter), paint it for water proofing, and
    put a removable lid on top for later replacement with glass (for
    observation).  Maybe put some grass or other stuffing in it to make it
    look like a mouse nest.

2.  Using a veil and a net, begin excavating the nest.  As bees enter and
    exit catch them with a net and put them in a bottle of sorts for
    temporary holding.  (I'm not quite sure how to move them from the net
    to the bottle.  Any suggestions?  Obviously this is a critical concern
    here, at least to me.)

3.  Upon reaching the nest, remove nest and place in box.

4.  Take nest and bees to a new site several miles away and place on
    ground.  Shake bees (quickly) from bottle into nest.  (Should I leave
    the nest sealed for a short period of time?  I probably won't.)

5.  Several weeks later, bring box back home and use as an observation hive.

Any information anyone can share with me will be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Fagerman

(northern Alabama, USA)