From:
Michael H Griggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:09:37 -0500
Grant wrote

I believe Nosema has been reclassified as a "micro-sporidian" in place of a fungus.  Not sure what affect these preservatives have on the new classification.  I'm not even sure wha a micro-sporidian is.

The group of pathogens "Microsporidia" have historically been placed in a separate group.  Since the advent of genetic testing & the use of genetic phylogenetic placement it has been reclassified with the Fungi.  It is an transitory group that has unusual characteristics, thats why it historically had been placed in its own group.

The new classification will both change and not change that which is known.  Lots of the research previously done on the microsporidia is still applicable, and the new association will present new opportunities in understanding like biochemistry.

I believe I posted a more complete post which should be in the Archives.

Cheers

Mike Griggs
Entomologist/ Support Scientist
Biological Integrated Pest Management Research Unit
USDA ARS, Robert W. Holley Center for Agriculture and Health
Tower Road, Ithaca, NY  14853
http://www.ars.usda.gov/naa/ithaca/BioIPM

phone:  607-255-1085
fax:        607-255-1132
email:    [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>