From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:42:08 -0400
Bob Harrison referred to:
"What Have Pesticides Got To Do With It" June ABJ

A direct quote:
> Figure 4 summarizes our findings and highlights our major concerns
regarding the *unknown consequences* for honey bee health.

This means that the consequences are unknown at this time. Be that as it
may, they go on to recommend:

> Reduce pathogen and pesticide build-up in combs by regularly culling old
comb, recycling comb and/or irradiation of old comb. This is particularly
recommended for dead-out colonies.

! If you eliminate as much as possible the potential sources of
contamination, you may have gone a long way toward either solving the
problem, or narrowing down the potential causes.

If we can get healthy bees through better management, we don't really need
to know which of the various factors was the most responsible for making
them sick. We do not have to wait for proof to begin to take action. Still,
the recommendation to take action does not constitute proof of anything.

Furthermore, I am also be recommending to beekeepers to either stay clear of
cropland, or charge a hefty fee if you and your bees' services are required.
If farmers want bees around, *they* had better make sure they are not the
ones who are killing them.

pb