From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2017 13:24:44 -0500
A new report on honey bee health states

> Scientists are now learning that the use of fumagillin can pose risks to colony health because improper doses may lead to proliferation, rather than reduction, of Nosema spores in the gut of bees (Huang et al. 2013). For most beekeepers, the use of this antibiotic to treat Nosema is not worth the expense and risk. In fact, the use of antibiotics in bee colonies in the United States will be regulated for the first time beginning in 2017.

Spivak, Marla, Zac Browning, Mike Goblirsch, Katie Lee, Clint Otto, Matthew Smart, Judy Wu-Smart, and Todd Peterson. Why Does Bee Health Matter? The Science Surrounding Honey Bee Health Concerns and What We Can Do About It. Council for Agricultural Science and Technology, 2017.

ΒΆ

By the way, as has been stated before, fumagillin has escaped regulation on the spurious basis of being anti-fungal. The regs should be based on the chemicals, not the targets. In any case, the Canadian regulations refer to anti-microbials, but fumagillin it's off their radar. Nosema is most certain a microbial organism! Anything used to kill it would therefore be an anti-microbial. But as is stated above, "not worth the expense and risk."

PLB