From:
Kathy Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 13:02:36 -0800
been trying to send this and couldn't, so here's a cut and paste

At 08:57 PM 1/27/2006, you wrote:
>Kathy,
>Can you shed any light on the reason for the new small hive beetle
>regulations at the border.

I am totally unaware of what is going on at the border. This is all
news to me, but I'm over here on the coast and we are way removed
from the goings on at the boarder. I'll ask my friend who is a
commercial beek what he knows.

>Was the problem discussed at your last meeting.

No, it wasn't.
  Everybody was quick to
>say the rules were not going to be enforced! Brokers assured no problems at
>the border!
>Boy were those people misinformed.

Again, this is the first I have heard of trucks being turned away. I
haven't had time to read my mail, been so busy getting the queen raising going.

>I have been told privately Kathy that California queen breeders are pushing
>the new rules. Can you confirm?

I am so small time, Bob. I have not joined any organizations that
deal with queen breeding. So I can't confirm a thing. Sorry to be
such dud with your questions.

>Now to almond pollination prices. What the heck is going on?
>Any truth to the story that almond growers are refusing to pay higher prices

My bees are "subcontracted".....all 20 hives going to the almonds.
The fellow who is taking them has had contracts since last year and
he is placing 1900 hives. I am not doing it for the money he offered,
but for the honey for the nucs I am raising and selling.

>than $80-90 and beekeepers are having trouble placing hives? A
>friend said ads are being run in "The Fresno Bee" and other papers
>advertising thousands of hives for almond pollination asking fees of
>80-90. Is there or is there not enough hives ?

Bob

I don't know what is going on, but I have heard that there are a lot
of bees coming in from Australia that are not diseased and quite
attractive. My friend has bought some to replace deadouts and they
are nice bees, that are healthy and built up, because they are in
their summer in Australia.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help with information, but I'll dig
around and see what I can find out.

Kathy Cox
bloomfieldbeeshoney.com