From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:25:19 -0600
It would be interesting to compare historical honey yield data and number of
hives in Midwest USA before and after corn acreage expansion.

Is there an expansion??  That's the key question  While there was a spike in
2013,  it came at the expense of  beans and other crops.(some CRP which had
expired also)  and in Iowa and IL in particular,  loss of alfalfa.  Over all
the shift has been pretty small,  5% in IA depending on how you calculate
it.

http://themanurescoop.blogspot.com/

This chart shows  what I mean.  It's a bit outdated,  but the trend
continues  increases in corn and beans come at the expense of other crops
Some argue a loss in diversity,  not sure I agree  because  like this graph
shows  oats as the huge looser, oats were not really a great "diversity
crop" either, added to actual cover crops which do not show up,  its hard to
say we lost much.

If it were updated it would show a slight uptick in total acres planted

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/node/2240

Another chart that actual shows some of the interactions

http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/detail.aspx?chartId=4006
9&ref=collection&embed=True

One that shows actual land use in the US for AG declining overall.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves/2012-march/data-feature-how-is-land-used
.aspx#.VjTGzrerTIU

And for Iowa,  acreage farmed
Just a as a summary as I know most wont look.
1982   27.58 million acres under plow
1997   24.00 million acres
And
Drumroll please
2012   24.5 million acres under plow.

http://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Publications/2012/Full_Report/Volume_1,_Chapter
_1_State_Level/Iowa/st19_1_001_001.pdf

The really cool thing about Amy Toth's research  was that it was pooled
data.   Most of the samples I have seen before were  1 set of hives,  such
as the Dr. Smart report,  and Dr. Andersons work.   So when a beekeeper
gives them a lousy yard they get skewed.

In looking at data on honey production,  its all over the map,  some say its
up but hive numbers are down, usda shows an increase per hive,  but state
numbers show a decrease.   Hard to make sense of it,  but my gut feeling is
as everywhere else,  weather is a big factor.

Charles